This is a brilliant dish that has featured on many of the Openhand winter retreats here. A perfect recipe for conscious eating. This recipe first appeared in my book 'Trinitys Conscious Kitchen'. This seed roast is surprisingly light and easy to digest. It serves delightfully with the mushroom gravy recipe and roast veggies. I've created a recipe tuition video so we can go through it step by step, to make sure you come out with a perfect loaf! Enjoy!
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Carrots 3 large sized (or 400g approx)
150g ground sunflower seeds (1 cup)
150g ground pumpkin seeds (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic
1 heaped tablespoon fresh rosemary
1 heaped tablespoon fresh parsley
(or 1 heaped teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Chop the (unpeeled, but scrubbed) carrots into small pieces. Boil or steam until soft. Drain and then mash.
- Grind seeds in a nut mill to make seed meal.
- Crush garlic and finely chop rosemary and parsley.
- Mix seed meal, carrots and all other ingredients together.
- Firmly press mixture into a loaf tin (lined with parchment paper). A 1kg loaf tin works well (approx 20x10x6cm). Make sure that you press really firmly to encourage the binding process - if you are too timid, it tends to fall apart. If you get it just right, then it magically forms into a perfectly sliceable loaf.
- Bake in a preheated oven at gas mark 6 (200˚C/400˚F) for approximately 45 minutes.
- Gently lift from the loaf tin by pulling out the loaf along with the parchment paper. Turn over onto a bread board and slice with a bread knife.
Notes: Grinding the seeds works best with a seed/nut/coffee grinder, although you can use a blender to roughly chop the seeds instead. If you roughly chop the seeds, then add a heaped tablespoon of spelt flour to the mixture to encourage the binding process. The other alternative is to use a pestle and mortar. If you have neither a grinder nor a blender, you can substitute the ground seeds for pre-ground nuts or seeds.
This recipe was originally published in the official Openhand Recipe Book 'Trinity's Conscious Kitchen' - a totally plant-based, wheat-free, refined-sugar-free book full of tasty dishes, healthy breakfasts, high pranic salads, dips, pates & dressings, nutritious main meals, soul-warming soups, tasty side dishes and delicious desserts.
It's on special offer for Openhand readers here:
'Trinity's Conscious Kitchen Book'.
22 years ago Trinity had a profound spiritual awakening that interconnected her with the deeper consciousness of life. What followed was a journey of compassion for all sentient beings, and a passion to share conscious eating for the benefit of all. Trinity is an integral part of the Openhand Core Team, supporting with the energy processing, design, publication of books and film, and is also the Openhand retreat chef. She is a recipe book author and runs her own 'Conscious Kitchen' retreats & workshops. Find Trinity here on her website (or comment below)... Trinity's Conscious Kitchen Website